Wednesday, June 24, 2009

You don't miss the water.....

....until the well runs dry. That's what my Papa told Jeremiah today when he was explaining our problem with the a/c. And, you know, he's right. We've only had air in our house for about 11 years. I lived my whole life without air in my house until I had been married for a year - and I didn't die then. In fact, I don't remember it being all that horrible - and we lived in Florida then, too. Actually, lived in this exact house as a matter of fact. My point is I didn't think it would be that bad and it wasn't - except at night. We spent Monday night here and it was miserable. It was H.O.T. and there was no air movement outside. Even with every window open and every fan in this house on it was hot. I try really hard to not be a complainer - so when Jeremiah suggested we sleep at my aunt's house last night I called her immediately! Thankfully, there was room at the Inn and we had a slumber party of sorts.

Fortunately - they installed our new unit tonight. They got here around 5:00 p.m. and didn't leave until a little after 8:00 p.m. I wasn't dying or complaining about the no a/c issue - but I was thankful that they made a point to get our's done today - no matter how late they had to work.

4 comments:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Isn't it amazing how "spoiled" we've become since the invention of A/C. Believe me I am including myself in this because I have to have it now at night, but when I grew up there were only fans and no A/C. I'm soooo spoiled now. I do feel lucky we do not have your high temps right now, though. It was 87 or something today, but still not the high humidity. Thank God (literally). I don't do well in humidity! Anyhow, hang in there and glad you have an a/c back!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

So glad you are enjoying that cool air in your home!!!! I just cannot live without ac! Nope. Can't do it!

Tracy P. said...

This is part of my philosophy of life--it's all about our expectations. Our comfort isn't so much a function of our circumstances--it's a function of how our circumstances measure up to what we expected. I think the way your Papa puts it is far more charming.

Glad your a/c is back on, though! ;-)

The Todds said...

Wowsa! The nights are brutal. Glad you were able to get ac back!

BTW - when we were little and had some of the best slumber parties at your house, I had no clue there wasn't any ac until now!

Join me in my quest to: