
I finally finished a book! Blessings by Kim Vogel Sawyers. It's the third book in the Sommerfeld Trilogy I started a while back. I've been in sort of a reading slump. I had started a book and didn't like it, so I abandoned it. (I hate abandoning books). I started another book - realized it was a "prequel," of sorts, to a book I had already read and found myself having a hard time reading it since I pretty much knew the ending and "what happened next." Then I had 3 books going because I would forget to take one with me and I'd find myself waiting somewhere and would pick up whatever was close. And I've just been really busy and haven't been taking the time to read.
So, finally, last night I finished Blessings. I finished it while I was walking on the treadmill. I decided to try to kill two birds with one stone. So, not only did I finish a good book I also walked 1.3 miles and burned 83 calories at the same time. Not much, I know, but it's a start. I've got to do something, people!
But I digress. Back to the book. This book was a little hard for me to get into - but I think it was just because of the busyness. I really like this book because it was about seeking God's will in your life and following through with the desires He gives you - even if they may be against what other people think is best for you. And for a young Mennonite girl who desires to be more than what her fellowship rules normally allow, she certainly fights an uphill battle.
This book helps us to remember we are to seek His will in all we do. And when He closes one door, He always opens another. For we cannot see the big picture, the big plan - we are just given snippets or snapshots, if you will, of what God can see. And I'm afraid that if we really could see the big picture of all God has planned for our individual lives we would be so overwhelmed that we would cower at the glimpse of all we are to be given or are we are to accomplish.
So, if you need a lift, a nudge to keep following God's will even if it seems hard or even if it seems that everyone else is against you - then read Blessings. You'll be glad you did.

8 comments:
I love your book reviews! I will add this to my "want to read list" too!!
So should I read the first two first? I am really wanting to do some reading while my kids read this summer, but the only fiction I've read in about the last 15 years is "The Shack". What would be your top suggestion for an aspiring reader of Christian fiction?
Would this be a good book for my 13 year old? She loves historic fiction.
♥
Joy
This looks like a good one. I just finally finished a Janette Oak book. Two of them actually. I haven't been reading much at all since my son was born 2 years ago. I'd like to read more, but I also take photographs and blog and blah, blah, blah so when I sit down to read I fall asleep. I'm also apparently getting old.
Love your blog so far. This is my first time on it, but I was drawn to it because I also live in the country. I love those photos with the pig kissing your little one and of just the pigs! So funny!
Preach it to ME sister! I'm hearing you... I mean God! God always haves a way of telling us things through thoes who love us!
Suzette - I can't believe you left a comment! I think that's, like, your second comment ever - and I KNOW you read my blog ALL. THE. TIME!!! Good for you ;o)
Oh, and glad I could help - even if I didn't know I was doing so when I wrote it. Isn't God good like that?
I know I already posted here... but I tagged you today in my blog post!
Sounds so perfect for me right now. I wonder if the kids will let me read it in peace a quiet?
Probably not.
Mrs. Nurse Boy
Post a Comment