I found a new author, Kim Vogel Sawyer, in the bargain barn at Barnes and Noble while looking for some books to use a gift card on a while back. She writes along the lines of Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter. This book is centered around the Mennonite community instead of the Old Order Amish. I just love these type of books. I don't know what it is about them that draws me in, but it does. And I devour all of these books I get my hands on.
I loaned my cousin Cindy a bag of books when they went away for Christmas and she chose this one to read first. When she got back she wanted to know if I had the others in the series because it was a "must read" and she wanted to finish the series. I hadn't read this book yet let alone find the rest of the series, but I jumped on PaperBack Swap to see if I could locate the others. So, Cindy, guess what? I now have the second book in the series. I've started it and I'll let you know when I'm finished. And the third book is on my "wish list" at Paperback Swap so we'll get it when someone posts it!
So, on to the story.........Cindy was right. This is a must read. And unlike the majority of these Amish/Mennonite-type setting books where the struggle is whether to stay in their tight-knit communities or become "worldly," these characters unexpectedly find themselves going back, for a brief stay, to the Mennonite community they had left so many years ago.
So many story lines intertwined within and a good mystery thrown in the mix as well. Some may say that the story line is typical and easy to figure out, but I think that just when you think you've got it figured out, you turn the page and your jaw will drop.

1 comment:
Please hurry! ;o)
Post a Comment