Beginnings by Kim Vogel Sawyer. This is the second book of the Sommerfeld Trilogy - the one I had to hurry up and read so my cousin Cindy could read it!So, Cindy, if you don't want to know too much - STOP reading this now!
Beginnings is centered around the story of Beth, adult daughter of Marie from Bygones. While Marie has rejoined her childhood Mennonite community and fully embraced it, Beth still feels like an outsider. She was not raised in this community and doesn't fully embrace the Mennonite traditions.
Beth is a born-again Christian, and does attend The Meetinghouse to worship, but she never feels like she really fits in. God has blessed her with an amazing talent to produce beautiful stained-glass art and she finds herself continuously wrestling with choices she has to make for her future regarding her calling and her place in the community. Throw in the mix the matter of the two men vying for her attention and you've got yourself a really good book.
I have to admit this book was a little slower for me to getting into it than the first one. But, as always, there came a point where I didn't want to put it down. And, lucky for me, I guess, I was at that point when I couldn't sleep at 1:30 a.m. the other day. So I read until I finished it! (Unfortunately, I still wasn't sleepy at 4:30 when I finished the book, so I had to get up and work until 5:30 when I was finally sleepy again and went back to bed for an hour! But I digress!)
Definitely, again, a different approach. If you've ever felt "out of place" in this big world we live in, maybe Beth's story can help.

No comments:
Post a Comment