
The Shack by William P. YoungSo, where do I begin with this one? This book took me forever to read - mainly because life kept getting in the way of my personal reading time. How dare it!
But, seriously, I had some preconceived notions about this book, I think. I don't think I consciously had them - but in reflection I have come to realize they were there. And looking back and thinking about it now, that may be part of the reason this book took longer for me to read. Life did keep getting in the way, but there were a few chapters in the middle that were very slow for me and I didn't feel like I was "into" it. But, again, it could have just been life - because I did get to the point that I HAD to finish it!
All that aside - this is a great book. It is a novel. It is written for fictional entertainment. Please do not, under any circumstances, read this book and try to apply any sort of theology or doctrine to it. I knew that going in - and maybe I was trying so hard to avoid that, that I didn't get it at first? I don't know exactly.
Like I said, this is definitely meant to be a fictional read. And I'm not saying that, the author has said it as well. That being said, it does speak some truths. Some truths that spun me around and slapped me in the face. And, as with any book, I think we will all take away our own truths from the reading of this book. We will all experience something different as we turn page after page. And while I think the descriptions of some of the characters could best be described as huge metaphors, it works. It definitely works. And I can't even begin to tell you too much description about the characters or the book or it will give it all away. Seriously - you'll just need to read it.
This has been the hardest review for me to write - and I still don't feel like I've done it a bit of justice. I just can't seem to find the words I want to convey. I literally feel speechless - which is exactly how I felt when I read the end of the book.
Oh, and the end...........Right! Like I'm telling you the end. You've got to be kidding! All I have to say is hold on to your seats (and some Kleenex at the beginning). This book certainly takes you for a ride (and makes you think a little, too!)

4 comments:
Oh, what a pleasant surprise! I just read it last week. And then last night I read some critical reviews just to see what all the stir was about. I would negate just about every one of the criticisms with examples from the book and scripture. So often in each of the arguments from the critics they took excerpts that left out where the conversation finally led.
Anyway, I had a lot of slaps in the face myself. They were very healthy slaps. There were many quotes from the book that were almost directly from scripture, and the scripture that has been ringing in my head is "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Eph. 5:21 Somehow I think everyone should submit to me. ;-)
Hey Tiffany. I enjoyed your review of The Shack. I have read it, though after learning what I have and heard opinions from respected Christian leaders, I am not sure I would have read it. Regardless, I agree that I learned a bit, basically about how we are ABLE to just sit and 'hang out' with God. I personally never felt that the book called us to goddess worship, as I have heard some say. I think it was a great way for God to 'break through' Mack's pre-conceived 'image' of God...
I also agree and really appreciate your disclaimer to not read with the intent to try to apply theology or doctrine. I think the review was well said! And, I have enjoyed your book reviews. Maybe one of these days I will get around to doing my own blog...I'd love to. Thanks for the entertainment!!
~Jess
I love reading your book reviews!
This is one on my "to read" list. I have heard so much both good and bad that I am not sure what to expect.
It seems that those who are upset, are upset bout the theology of it. I don't know of anyone who said the book was boring.
Thanks for visiting my blog. This blog party has been amazing. I am looking forward to getting to "know" you better.
Post a Comment