Monday, June 30, 2008

Random moments of bliss

I have several projects that need to be done around the house - some things that get neglected - fun things like dusting shelves and cleaning up little areas that tend to get cluttered, oh, and cleaning the windows in the doors that get all grimy from daily hand prints; and then there are those weekly chores that need to be done like sweeping and mopping (okay, so I don't usually mop weekly but it is on this week's list) and cleaning the bathrooms.
So, I made a list this morning of everything that needed to be accomplished and when we returned from our morning errand run the kids and I sat down and divvied up the chores.

Most of the projects were things they could handle. They each got to pick their chores from the list and we made them their own lists from that. (I took a couple of items like mopping and cleaning the windows in the living room that were a bit much for them) I told them that the chores didn't all have to be done today but they had to do at least 2 chores today, tomorrow and Thursday (since we will not be home on Wednesday) so that everything would get done.

So - here comes the shocking part. You might want to sit down, especially if you have kids of your own - they chose who would do what without the first argument and then they immediately set to work on their projects without having to be told! And then, then, they decided they would do 3 chores today and 3 chores tomorrow so they could have Thursday off! Genius!

Now, I don't want you to think that my children don't regularly do chores. They do. They each have things they have to do each week and some of them are daily chores. But, these are things that don't get done weekly around here because I just don't take the time to do it. And this is really more about the fact that nobody complained or whined about having to do "extra" chores today. And did I mention they are working without arguing - with me or with each other - and that projects are getting accomplished? I'm in a state of bliss that I don't want to leave at the moment. I think I'll bask in it for a few more minutes before I walk back into the real world.

2 comments:

brokbak said...

Stay in the bed today,
this might be a dream.

Lets hope not.

Love
yo Dad

Kelly in NC said...

I hope you get Thursday off too! That is awesome!

Join me in my quest to: