I spent the weekend at the 30th Annual Florida Dairy Goat Association Goat Production Conference in Gainesville. And my word of the weekend quickly became "overwhelming." I did learn a lot and I met a new friend - Hi, Jessica! Let me digress a moment and talk about my new friend. Her name, as I just mentioned, is Jessica and she lives in the Alachua area. We have some very interesting things in common: First, anyone who knows me knows that my best friend's name is Jessica and her husband is David. Well, my new friend Jessica's husband's name is David, too. Weird. Also, she has a good friend named Suzette, too. How weird is that? And as most of you know our goats names are Saturday and Sunday. Well, Jessica has a goat named Wednesday. Tater Tot cracked up laughing when I told him that. I mean, like full-on belly laughing. Jessica has a daughter who is 12 and two boys 4 and 2 and she's a Christian. It was really nice to meet another friend who is starting out in the goat business. I enjoyed our time together and hope we will see each other again soon. I know we will be emailing a lot!
But back to the business of goats - I got a lot of good information on Saturday(not the goat) and on Sunday(not the goat) we had several hands-on type activities from milking to castrating. Hubby went with me on Sunday and had literally disappeared when they asked if there were any volunteers for the castration session. Odd, huh?
I enjoyed my weekend and now have to continue to process everything I learned. If we can get our act together, I think we'll breed Sunday to kid in the spring. Then we'll have babies - and milk! I'm so excited about having our own goat milk! Hopefully we'll be able to get things set up and ready to have babies. Keep your fingers crossed!
15 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment