Friday, June 6, 2008

Happy 60th Anniversary

Wednesday my Papa and Nana Marsh celebrated 60 years of marriage! Isn't that amazing? We had a big shindig for them Sunday at their church and there were around 170 people in attendance. They had family come in from several states and even a couple of surprises - one of which was Nana's stepbrother, John David, and another was some cousins of Papa's from Georgia, Whipple Simpson and his son, Henry. I have heard stories of Whipple and his family all my life but had never met them - well, at least not that I remembered. I think I was a baby the last time Henry saw me - so it was nice to meet some of that extended family.

UPDATE: I have had a clarification. I have always thought that Whipple was Papa's cousin; however, it turns out that he is someone that my Papa went to "work" for in Georgia after he retired. I say work in quotes because my mom says that while he did get paid to do his duties it was more like playing for Papa and he enjoyed it immensely. The families became so close, however, they have always been considered like family - thus the reason I thought they were cousins. Turns out they're just really great family friends who just couldn't miss a 60th wedding anniversary of two special people.

Nana and Papa had a great time and really enjoyed seeing all those who came out to honor their accomplishment. It was amazing to see all those people take time out of their own busy lives to stop by or travel from afar just to visit with and honor my grand parents. What an example and testimony they have been to so many people over their lifetimes. I am proud to be their granddaughter and to belong to such a legacy.

Papa likes to say, "All of this started with just 2 people." I hope I live long enough to celebrate my 60th anniversary as well - and if so blessed, I will look back and remember 2 simply amazing people who started it all and made it all possible for me.

Happy Anniversary, Nana and Papa! I love you both very much.

No comments:

Join me in my quest to: