Wednesday, May 20, 2009

When it rains.......

You find out your roof leaks! That's right, folks, we have a leak. Several of them, in fact, but only one at the moment that is leaking inside the house.

Hubby found water puddled all on the sink in his bathroom last night and thought that Drake had been playing and made a mess and didn't clean it up. Turns out he was wrong. It took us a few minutes to figure out where it was coming from since it was not dripping or pouring from the ceiling.

We finally discovered the wall was wet and started tracing that - which led us to take down the mirror and voila, the source was found. Water was seeping through an old screw hole in the drywall and running down the wall, just undetectable enough to then puddle on the sink and the floor. Oh, joy.

We then went exploring in the attic and found about 3 other places that were wet but not leaking through to the inside of the house. Today hubby came back home and decided to cut a hole in the wall just to make sure that it wasn't the plumbing to the sink that was leaking - but, alas, it was not. It's definitely the roof. And now our bathroom looks like this:




(It's a great view.)

The good news is that Hubby's uncle is a contractor and he's going to help us get the new roof on and redo the bathroom. As Jeremiah said earlier today, "Well, I guess this is one way to get the bathroom remodeled." So, unbeknownst to us until now, our next remodel project will be the boys' bathroom. We know the wall behind the sink and the sink will have to come out and we're pretty sure we'll have to replace all the walls in there. We'll know for sure when Jeremiah's uncle comes to look at it. Until then we're going through those 3 loads of towels I washed yesterday to soak up the water and the bathroom is off limits. Thanks goodness we have two!

5 comments:

Annikke said...

yay to remodeling, but BOO to the reason why!!

Jim and Lilla said...

Well the roof is over 23 years old. It held up pretty well! Even though you had this MAJOR problem - I hope you still feel like dancing in the rain. = Mama

Christi said...

OH NO!!! I suppose you could have found it when it was worse . . . . But yuck!

Tiffany said...

I agree - it has held up very well for its age! You done good many moons ago!

And, yes, I'll still dance in the rain because it could be much worse and it's not.

I'm glad it rained and we discovered it now instead of during a hurricane when it really would be a MAJOR problem.

And thanks for taking care of it for us, too ;o)

Kelly in NC said...

I like that you are optimistic about remodeling the bathroom at least! Good luck!

Join me in my quest to: