Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What's that sound?

It's raining people! It's been raining for 2 days straight. And I do literally mean straight. It has not stopped raining for more than 2 minutes since yesterday. Most of the time it's a steady, light rain - just enough for the ground to be able to soak it up without completely flooding our yard. It's raining pretty hard right now though and it's glorious. We need it so badly. The grass and the crops and the trees and the animals are all praising God that it is raining.

Okay, well, our goats aren't so thankful. They don't like to get wet - and I think they're pretty tired of being cooped up in the little shack they call home right now. But, fear not little goats - you will have a nice, new, big home soon. I promise!

I'll admit I don't like to have to go out in the rain - like this morning when I had to do a little grocery shopping. That wasn't so great - but I am NOT going to complain about this rain at all! No, sirree, not me. It's beautiful. I'm sitting in my house with the doors and the windows open listening to it come down and it's one of the most beautiful, relaxing sounds I think God ever made. The only "problem" is that all I want to do is curl up with my book and my favorite blanket and read and nap and read and read and nap. Repeat.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to do that - but just listening to the rain is soothing and has made work and housework a little more bearable. I got a lot of work done yesterday and off to the proofreader, so that was a big relief. And today I decided it was laundry catch-up day - at least the laundry that I don't hang out on the line. When's a better time to do "dryer laundry" than when it's raining? I thought so, too. So, 3 loads of towels and our bed sheets are all done - and folded and put away! Yippee!!! I love clean sheet day! (Yes, I had three loads of towels - but in my defense my washer is small and doesn't hold 16 towels at a time like some people's! But we were pretty low on all types of towels; bathroom, kitchen and napkins)

So, shift with me into soap-box mode for a moment, please. Why is it that when we are in a drought and are not getting ANY rain that the weather people/news anchors gripe and complain and want to know when we'll get a tiny spec of rain - BUT when it FINALLY rains(for one day) they say things like, "Tell us when this will stop." Or "When can we expect some dry weather, Tom?" That infuriates me. I can't believe these people can't be happy. Listen, people - we NEED this rain. I can't even tell you how desperately we need it. The crops need it, the animals need it - so just deal with it. It will not rain forever, I promise. It may be a little inconvenient for a little while. You may have to drive a little more carefully or slower than usual. But it's not the end of the world. It really is a good thing, trust me. And if you don't like your house and yard being flooded, then don't build your house in the middle of a dried-up pond for goodness sake. Should've done your homework before you built. Sorry - that's just how I feel.
Enjoy the rain. Look at how beautiful it makes everything look. Don't try to just survive the storm - get out and dance in the rain.

Okay - thank you for joining me on that little journey. I have stepped down off the soap box for now. You're welcome.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day. Take time to enjoy the circumstances you're in. Always look for the silver lining - even if it's hard to see.



smaller portions - higher price????

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I totally agree about the weather people....always makes me laugh! Kinda like Goldilocks...too wet, too dry....where is just right? Hope you get sometime to read in the next few days-o-rain : )

Joy said...

Those news people drive me crazy when they do that. They do it here too. When's this rain going to stop...when are we going to get rain... blah blah blah.
I'd like for just once for one of them to give a positive spin to something. anyway.

So glad you are getting rain. I know it has been very dry there.
I'm wanting to get a rain barrell. Do you have one? One more thing for my husband to add to my "she's insane" list. But I think they are important for the dry times.


Joy

Joy said...

Hey I just saw you top commenters wiget. I can't believe I'm #1. Cool.

Join me in my quest to: