We had a great Labor Day weekend and we've survived 2 full weeks of school now. Everyone is settling into their new routines. Dakota has moved to the high school this year and is becoming accustomed to her new surroundings quite nicely. She hasn't gotten lost, gone to the wrong class, or been put in a trashcan. Those were her three worries and she's made it past all of them!
Drake is a big third grader this year and was very reluctant when he found out who his teacher was. If was, of course, the one he said he didn't want to get because he had heard other people say she was mean. Well, we spent a little time with her when we went to orientation and when we left he said, "Well, she's not so bad after all." I knew he would like her when he could meet her himself! Now, don't get me wrong, she's a no nonsense kind of lady. She's a bit old school and is a little strict and doesn't allow "stuff" to go on - and if that makes her mean, then she is! But she seems like a great teacher in my book - and I'm excited that he got her!
Here's our annual First Day of School Photo-Op:
(You have to participate to make your mother happy, whether you want to or not!)
We also had our annual 4-H Awards Banquet right before school started. In June, Dakota was elected by her 4-H County Council peers as the County Council President for this year. She was so excited (and still is). This year the 4-Hers took on a much bigger role at the awards banquet than they have in the past; hosting and emceeing and presenting awards, etc. Dakota (and all the others) did a great job that night and I was proud of them all. Dakota had a lot of talking to do. In front of a big crowd. Into a microphone. In front of everyone. In a skirt. And she did a great job! She also had to prepare and give a Presidential Challenge speech to challenge the members of 4-H this coming year. She did a great job for her first major speech - and, of course, it brought a tear to my eye. She is becoming an amazing person (not that she wasn't before - she's just growing in so many ways and it makes me so proud!)
Here are a couple of pictures from the awards night:
I didn't get too many good pictures because I was busy videoing the banquet and somehow Drake became Keeper of the Camera for the night - so I have lots of fuzzy pictures ;o) But these 3 didn't come out too bad!
We had a great Labor Day weekend doing a lot of nothing. I was able to finish one book and then started another on Sunday and finished in last night! I'll be posting about them soon - as soon as I go back and catch up all my book reviews that I missed while I was on my blogging hiatus.
So, a weekend full of a lot of nothing was really good for us because it is fixin' to kick in gear around here and get super busy. It's almost pig season!! We're all very excited. The kids are ready to go get pigs. Today. Drake is excited because this is his first year to get to show a pig. He's already got some names picked out and he's just waiting to pick his pig before he makes the final decision. Dakota is obsessed with pigs and has them everywhere - posters, cards, drawings, stickers, pictures on the computer, etc. I think she really likes this pig business! lol!
Well, this post is starting to need a second chapter, so I better close. Just thought I'd catch up a little with our rural chaos! Stick around - the fun's just about to begin!

7 comments:
What cute kids, and what great accomplishments! Yea for the D's!
I gave my kids "posing for mom" as their morning job today. They were so cooperative when they thought they were getting out of a chore. :-)
Dakota is really growing in confidence and maturing into such a wonderful young woman. I know you are proud. She's a great role model.
Drake's teacher sounds great. My girls have had a few like that and they learn so much. They both look so cute on the first day of school.
♥
Joy
All kinds of things happening around your place!! Cute pictures of the kiddos!
I love a great mish mash post! The kids are getting so big and we are getting so OLD!
Sounds like you had a great summer and first day of school.
(That Spiderman cracks me up. I'd love to get one for my son's room as he is the biggest Spiderman fan ever it seems! :-)
I love 1st day of school photographs! Those kids of yours are getting big in a hurry. No?
Your kids are so cute! They grow up fast, don't they?!
Mrs. Nurse Boy
Post a Comment