Thursday, April 2, 2009

Wild horses

In the pasture behind our house are some great old trees. And since I grew up on this very same property, I have spent my fair share of hours exploring these trees and playing. One of my favorite things to do was to "ride" the "horses."

No - not those kind of horses. The TREE horses!

They are so much fun! And now my kids and their cousins are enjoying the exact same fun - on the exact same trees! They get out there just about every day and have a ball!



And this particular tree is one of the best tree horses out here. You can really get some height when you "gallop."

Hold on to those buckin' broncs!

It's so fun to watch them have some good 'ole fashioned fun - fun that doesn't require electricity or batteries or remotes or any other modern convenience. It's imaginary play at it's best - and I love it!

13 comments:

Tracy P. said...

Oh, does that look like fun!!!!

Jim and Lilla said...

And I grew up riding those same "horses!" I agree, it is the best fun these kids could ever have and wonderful memories for a lifetime, I know they are for me.
(Mama)

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Hi. I'm just stopping in from the UBP. It's nice to meet you!

Christi said...

It does look like fun! I grew up in west Texas where I was as tall as the trees so no horse riding for me.

kelly said...

those trees are amazing. they look like so much fun!

The Freitags said...

Hey, I recognize those horses!

The Todds said...

Gracious, I miss those oaks! There is nothing like them. Love the pics!

Joanna said...

Thanks for the comment. Wishing they could do a spring break redo, haha.

I grew up on a dead end street surrounded by woods. Oh the fun that we used to have when we were younger running through the woods, and I remember a couple of those same tree horses at my house!

HappyAndersons said...

How awesome! It looks like they were having so much fun and I agree with you about good ol' imaginary play!!!

Hey I just wanted to let you know I tried the homemade syrup and it worked well - hopefully you'll get a chance to try it!
Have a great day!

Annikke said...

That looks so fun. I love to watch my kids play using their imaginations. I try to encourage that. When I was a kid I could play all day outside just using my imagination to create a whole new world. I want that for my kids too!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!
LOVE the pictures!!! That looks right up my boys' alley!

Joy said...

What a perfect tree to play in.

Good for them. Lots of fun, happy memories being made there.


Joy

Farmgirl Paints said...

Oh that looks like so much fun. To be a kid again... Don't ya just love catching them doing the same stuff you used to do?

Join me in my quest to: