Science fair projects are the bane of my existence. I hated them when I was in school - and I hate them even more as a parent. Do teachers not understand that such projects are 100% more stressful for parents than the students? Do teachers not understand that the students rely heavily on their parents to get said projects completed? I would like to interview a science teacher and ask them just what they think is gained by these projects because I think the only thing I ever gain is heartburn and ulcers. Oh, and for a parent who is a perfectionist when it comes to such tasks - yeah, that's way worse than anyone can imagine.
The only fun part to someone like me is designing the board and actually getting everything on the board. So, yes, I admit it - I did the layout for Ladybug's board and then made her glue everything on it herself. That way she can say she did it if asked and she won't be lying. She did conduct her experiment herself, and she did her research herself. She even typed everything she needed herself (okay, except for the Introduction which she had previously typed herself and apparently did not save; therefore. it had to be re-typed and it was long and would have taken her forever - so I DID IT! I confess! Do not judge me!)
So, essentially she has done her project herself. And any teacher that insists that a child do an entire project with absolutely no assistance from a parent is CRAZY! What they expect these kids to do is not something they can do without some help or assistance from an adult - even if the help is walking your child through the process to get them to think on their own! And, man, is that ever it's own process or what? You guys who have not had to experience a science fair project as an adult will understand all too well what I am talking about soon enough. I promise. It's inevitable!
So, I refuse to feel bad about the fact that I helped my child with her project. I did not, under any circumstance, do the project for her. But I did lend my opinion and my assistance when asked - and even sometimes when I wasn't asked - to get this project to a completed state. And, quite frankly, I have to admit that I butted out more than in this year and I am quite proud of myself for that fact. I tend to hover and explain how things were done when I did them (eons ago) and give my unsolicited opinions. So the fact that I did less of that is an accomplishment of it's own.
So, the board is finished and ready to be turned in when school starts tomorrow and for that I am quite thankful. We have survived yet another science fair project! Thank you for letting me vent..........


















4 comments:
Just a little lond lost family history from this old goat.
Class of 1969, the proun father and papatucky of the grand kids of the one that hates Science fair projects but will help her off spring anyway.
I don't know why you don't like science fairs.
You did not get it from your Dad,
The first fair that South Sumter ever had was in 1967,and I won best of catagory and Best of fair.placed 3rd at regional and went to state.
in 1968 I won best in class and best of fair, best in class at regional my prize was a radio with tubes in it that took about 5 min. to warm up so you could listen to it, and 5th at State (I think).
in my senior year I placed best in class and best of fair, My prise was a TRANSISTER Radio it was about 4" X 6" neetest thing in the world it was SOO small and it realy worked.
all my projects had something to do with plants
by the way I did all the work myself, experiments and designing the board and building it.
sorry for bragging but it was big to me back then in the stone age of the old South Sunter (Rebels) high school.
o by the way I also drove the school bus to the regional and state fairs four years after graduation and juged the SSHS fairs 4 or 5 years.
Love
your Dad
NOTE: I didn't say I wasn't successful - I just hated the process and still do. I actually went to Regionals a couple of times and I think even to State science fair once, too.
However, since you loved science fair so much, I will use the information you gave me in the future by sending my children to Kentucky for them to complete their projects and you can send them home when they are completed and not a moment sooner! Love ya!
Send them on big mama and I will send them back sooner than you think, hahaha
O by the way the year I took typing in High school the Teachures were on strike (for real)
so I cant tell the difference between an d and a G or an n and an D along with other stuff.
of course I do love all yall
I am glad you made it through the process. I hated it - except going to regionals a couple of times. I am certainly not looking forward to the future projects in this house.
Post a Comment