Saturday, January 5, 2008

Happy 13th Birthday, Ladybug!

It's official. We are the parents of a teenager today! I don't know what's more unbelievable - the fact that she's actually 13 or the fact that we're old enough for her to be 13.

Two of her friends came to stay the night with us tonight and then we're having Ladybug's "family" party tomorrow afternoon. The girls have been a riot since we got home. I have listened to moments of quiet from her room that are interrupted quite frequently with eruptions of giggling. It really makes me want to know what they're talking about - but it also makes me smile remembering many fun sleepovers that I had as a young girl and hoping that she is building memories and friendships that she will carry with her for the rest of her life, too.

I don't specifically remember my 13th birthday. I don't specifically remember any so-called rights of passage I might have gained with that magical number. But I do know that I had some great friends and we always had a lot of fun when we were together. You know, sometimes when you hear a song from our growing up years it might jog a memory that's been lurking way back in the recesses and it can make you smile (or sometimes make you sad) and take you back to the exact place you were when you heard it one time - well, that's proving to be true with little milestones that come along as Ladybug continues to grow into a young lady. I have really great memories of "The Lunchbox Gang" and all our fun times together - and I hope that Ladybug will look back one day and remember these times, her times, with a smile, too.

So, for today, my birthday wish for Ladybug is that you stay true to yourself, that you live life to the fullest, that you take advantage of every opportunity provided to you, that you never give up, that you never give in, that you never back down from something you believe in, that you keep your head up, that you live strong, that you are never afraid to try something new - and to borrow from the song - if you get the chance to sit it out or dance....I hope you dance! We love you! Mama and Daddy

2 comments:

Kelly in NC said...

Is she reallyy 13!!! Yikes- we're getting old!
Happy Birthday Dakota!

Love you letter Tiff!

The Todds said...

Hey T - Long live the
"Lunchbox Gang"! I have some great slumber party memories from your house, too!
Happy Birthday, Dakota. I remember going to the hospital to see you both. What a great job you and Jeremiah have done in raising such a grounded teenager. Your letter to her was beautiful and so is she.

Join me in my quest to: