This book is pretty off course from my usual reading fare - but when my bloggy friend Joy learned of my Floridian roots (and that we shared that common-bond) she suggested I read this book. I'm so glad she did! Thanks, Joy!Being a Native Floridian (and a multi-generation one) I loved this book. It talked of places I was familiar with - and a life I have heard my grandparents refer to many times in stories over the years; both of their lives, but also their parents as well. It also mentions some characters with my Papa's family's last name - which made things even more interesting to me.
The book is written in "old, backwoods" language - that I didn't find difficult to follow. However, I guess if you're not from these parts you might find it hard to discern. I could place myself in this story easily and imagine myself growing up in this time. (of course, I did always wish I was Laura Ingalls)
The author has this passage in her forward and it struck me, so I thought I would share:
"Here then, in the Florida backwoods, a world exists, which few people, town residents or northern tourists, see, realize or even suspect. Many who see it fail sadly to understand it. Here is a real and authentic corner of the American scene, a segment of American life."
This book represents how I see Florida; both its history and its current state. I don't see the palm trees and the beaches as so many do on postcards - although they certainly contribute to our state's makeup. I still see this state as farm land, wide-open pasture, working land. And even though Florida is growing concrete and asphalt and tall buildings, I will forever see it as it was (and still mostly is in my neck of the woods).
Although this book (and the others in her series of regional books) was written specifically for kids so they could better understand our country - I think if adults will give it a chance they will enjoy it - and maybe even learn a little bit of Floridian history.

1 comment:
So glad you enjoyed this book. I have it and will never part with it. I tried to read it to my girls, but they had a hard time with the backwoods language. Like you I felt comfortable with it.
This is a beautifully written review of this book and it truly mirrors my view of this book and the State of Florida.
From one Florida Cracker to another...Good job!
♥
Joy
Post a Comment