Drake has been saving and saving and saving and saving his money to buy himself a Nintendo DS game system. He put in for one several months ago and I informed him that I wouldn't be paying for it. So, he asked if he bought it with his own money could he get one. Sure, I said, knowing how money burns a hole right through his pocket.
But just after his birthday this year he pulled all his money out and we sat down and counted it. He had $144! I couldn't believe it. So, we went and priced the game system and the games and determined he would need about $30 more to be able to get the game system and a game to play. He was so excited that he was that close.
A couple of weeks ago I was doing some online shopping and went to Walmart.com. When I opened up the home page they were having a DS bundle sale. Online purchases only. $149 and he could get the game system, 2 games (more than a $30 value), and a starter kit (a $25 value). I was exicted for him. I couldn't wait for him to get home from school. When he did, I showed him the deal and he flipped out. We quickly picked out his 2 games and the starter kit he wanted and he brought me his wad of money. Oh, and his dad said he'd float him the extra $5.
Friday, the 21st, was the big day! The DS F-I-N-A-L-L-Y arrived! He did have to wait until Monday for the games to come in, but lucikly his cousin loaned him some games over the weekend so he could play. He's had so much fun. And he's so proud of himself for saving the money - and we are, too. It's been a really good lesson.

2 comments:
How exciting for him that he bought it with his own money! Yay for him!! You can see the total excitment on his face in that picture!
What a great lesson. Congrats all around.
Post a Comment