Saturday, October 6, 2007

30??? I guess it's not so bad after all.........

September 25, 1977. 30 years?? How did this happen? When I was little I used to say my birthday was September 45th. My family loves to tell this story and thinks it's just as funny now as they did when I actually believed my birthday was the 45th. For the past year I've been wishing I could go back to that make-believe date so that I wouldn't have to celebrate a 30th birthday. It's hard for me to believe that it's even possible to be 30 years old - so I can't imagine how those who brought me into this world actually feel about the situation!

Even in my disbelief I had a great birthday. The morning started with Dakota preparing me a birthday breakfast of cinnamon toast with butter and extra cinnamon sugar on top. Yummy!
Then I found balloons tied to our mailbox. I assumed that Suzette had put them there but when I called her she had not done it........but she knew who did (because she had blown up the balloons for this person) and told me I had to figure it out. Well, it took me all day but I found out the culprit was my mom! There were four balloons; 3 of which were various Happy Birthday balloons and the 4th said "Still Perfect After 30 Years." They definitely brought a smile to my face.

My day continued to be enjoyable. I had to go in to work - but it was certainly worth it because I racked up on the presents from all my wonderful co-workers. They are like sisters to me and I love them all. Thanks again, guys! You made my birthday a great day - even if I did have to be at work!!!!

After work I picked up the kids (and got another present from Suzette - a basket full of goodies! Thanks again, girl! The cheddar fries and Milk Duds are long gone - but I love the shirt and the candle and I use the blanket every day now when I sit on my couch!)
We then went to the middle school football game and listened to Dakota play in the band(she is the middle flute player in the picture). I say "listened" because they do not get to march or do any kind of half-time show. This Mamma is not happy about this. But I enjoy the game and enjoy listening to them play. And since they play every time we get a touchdown, they were able to play quite a bit because the Raiders won, again! GO RAIDERS!

After the game, we went to Beef O'Bradys to eat(not exactly my birthday dinner pick - but we were in Bushnell, people and it was 8:00 p.m. on a Tuesday). Jeremiah's parents joined us. And after our meal I got a free dessert and a birthday song from the waitresses! And, yes, I was embarrassed but there were not many people left in the restaurant so it wasn't too bad.

So, for all the worrying I did about turning 30 and thinking I might have some type of mental breakdown, the day ended up being a great one. And I've decided that 30 is not so bad after all. I think I'll find that membership has its priveleges. Although - when I got up Wednesday morning this is what I found:
Do you think it's a sign?????? Probably not but it made me laugh, anyway!

3 comments:

The Freitags said...

Sounds like you had a great day.
I'm not too far behind!! I am actually looking forward to 30. I get so many strange comments and looks having four kids and still being in my 20's. I will finally feel like a grown up saying I'm in my thirties.

The Todds said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Thirty was a hard one for me, too. It isn't that bad though. Somedays you will definetly feel like that deflated balloon and other days you'll feel like a million bucks! Thirty is the new twenty, but with the wisdom and maturity of making it through your teens and twenties!
Welcome to the club. We are happy to have you!!!!

Kelly in NC said...

Happy 30th birthday. You know that 30 is the new 20, right? Except I kinda like being 30 more than 20!

Join me in my quest to: