Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Happy 90th Birthday, Papa

Today is my Papa's 90th birthday! April 28, 1920 is when this story began.

He is an amazing man. He still runs his own farm and takes care of it everyday. It's not uncommon to find him in the barn or on the tractor or riding to check on his cows or even fixing or building fence.

He also takes care of my Nana, too. She'd tell you he's always taken care of her - but these days he does a little more than he used to. Because of her arthritis and a few falls she's had in the last few years she doesn't get around so good anymore, so Papa also does the laundry and helps Nana with her daily routine. Nana still cooks, though - because the few times that Papa's had to cook over the years have resulted in some really funny stories!

Papa grew up farming - starting out by making his own "farm" in the dirt using the claw end of a hammer as his plow and planting his own "crops." At a very young age, because of a disability that his father had, he started helping with the family farm - and seeking work outside the farm to help provide for the family. He's worked a few jobs off the farm over the years, but his true love is working the land - and ultimately that's what he "retired" to.

Papa went off to World War II and obviously lived to tell about it. In fact, his mother watched all four of her boys go to war - and, thankfully, saw all four of them come home, relatively unscathed. Papa drove a jeep for the general while in the war and one time after just dropping the general off he drove over a landmine that blew up. It caused him to lose partial hearing - but other than that, no permanent damage. That incident also left him with gravel inside his head and years later little pieces of gravel would still work its way out of his face.

When he came home from the war he eventually started driving a school bus. And that, folks, is where he met my Nana. He likes to say that he moved her to sit in the front seat so he could keep an eye on her. And when people ask why he waited so long to get married, he says he had to wait for Marie to grow up and be old enough to get married. There are 11 years difference in their ages.

They married in June of 1948, the summer before Nana started her senior year of high school. He had to promise her dad that he would make sure she finished school. The summer of 1949 she graduated high school. And the summer of 1950 they started their family with my Aunt Susan. Three years later, along came Lilla (my mom) and three years after that came my Uncle Marty.

I spent half my life with my Nana and Papa, starting when I was six weeks old and my mom went back to work. I've spent some wonderful time with my Papa and have some very fond memories of being with him over the years. He's rocked me to sleep more times than I'll ever know. I helped him build the current barn he has. I've helped him collect eggs from the chickens. I've sat and watched him make many things while he was woodworking or building the porches or adding rooms on to their house. He taught me how to tell time with a paper plate and toothpicks. He helped me with my math homework when I struggled (and that was a lot where math was concerned). He also taught me how to drive (a stick shift, too) - and the patience the man had was unbelievable!

Like I said, he's an amazing man and he's been such a role model to me over the years. I know how lucky I am to have had him in my life this long - and in my childrens' lives, too! He is a blessing to our family and I love him very much!

So, Happy Birthday, Papa! I love you!
And as Papa would say, we look forward to the next 90!

3 comments:

Annikke said...

He sounds like a great man! What a story and a great tribute! Happy Birthday to him!

Joy said...

Aww Tiffany, What a sweet happy birthday to your Papa. His smile is so gentle. I enjoyed reading the stories about him. You are so blessed to have him in your life.
♥ Joy

Tracy P. said...

That brings tears to my eyes, Tiffany! You are so blessed to have such a sweet Papa. My dad was born on your Papa's 12th birthday.

Join me in my quest to: