UPDATE: Let me just say (based upon a recent comment) that I have nothing against the public library and I do still use it. I love the library! And, yes, I can ask the librarian to do inner-library loans, etc. I understand all of that. This book swapping thing just appeals to me at the moment. It is helpful for those times when: 1. I can't find the time to get to the library. 2. I don't want to have to remember to renew the book if I'm taking longer to read it. 3. Maybe it's a book I want to add to my at-home library - it's certainly much cheaper than the bookstore. So, please do not think I am anti-library at all. I just find this alternative works for me right now.
I have found a cool alternative to the library or bookstore. Sometimes you just can't get what you want from the library, especially living in a rural area like ours. Or sometimes maybe you just don't have time to get to the library. Well - let me introduce you to paperbackswap.com. It's a book sharing program. You join the group, list books that you have that you would like to share with others, and then you can request books to be sent to you. The only cost is the media mail fee you pay when you send a book out. It's usually under $3 per book. And you can even print the postage right from your computer on the book wrapper and put it in your mailbox and you would never have to leave your house to complete the transaction. (Okay - if you have a PO box you'd have to at least drive by the post office and drop it in the bin) How easy is that?
I've completed several transactions now - both sending and requesting and I'm loving it. Oh - and it's not just for the adults. You can list your kids' books, too! It's a great way to share your love of reading - and clear out some space on that bookshelf you've been wanting to declutter.
15 years ago

2 comments:
You can get anything from the library if you're patient. Your library can order books for you via inter-library loan. It's probably no slower than on-line book-swapping and more certain. Ask your librarian about it.
I am a huge fan of paperbackswap! Huge! Not only does it get books off my shelf when I am done (since I don't have a whole lotta space to store books) I get new ones to read when I want!
Post a Comment