Monday, May 12, 2008

Ladybug and Annie

Ladybug has been asking for a dog for a little while now (and offering to pay for it herself with her pig money) and we've been saying no. No more dogs! That's what Hubby ALWAYS says! And then his heart softens a little bit and he gives in. He's like my Granddaddy Thomas just a little bit - a big heart for animals. So Hubby calls me the other day and says he's being a "softie" and he's found Ladybug a dog. The dog is not free - so I tell him I can't help him. Ladybug immediately offers to pay for the dog herself. And her daddy tells her if she pays half we'll pay half. The price is not an unreasonable fee - so they've struck a deal.


So, welcome Annie - our newest addition. She's a Jack Russell - a long-legged one as you might can tell. She's 12 weeks old and she seems to have a very sweet disposition.

Getting her home was a story of its own. Ladybug and Tater Tot had her in the back seat of my car on a towel. And she had the little receiving blanket that the girl selling her had given her. So, she's hanging out. Nervous as can be expected. She's pacing from Ladybug to Tater Tot and back again. The kids start talking about hoping she doesn't throw up in the car and what they should look for. No sooner had I told them than she started throwing up. On Tater Tot. We got her off of Tater Tot and she finished the job on the towel. By this time Hubby has pulled over and we get out to start cleaning. She got Tater Tot on the leg right at where his seat belt buckles - so, you guessed it, it's on the seat belt buckle, too. (Might I stop to gag again?) I'll spare you the gory details of getting it up - but we got Tater Tot out and ubby cleaned him up while I started on the seat belt. I wiped as much as I could up with a wet wipe and Hubby had to clean out the buckle with a paper towel and his knife. Luckily none of it got on the seat - and we had an extra towel in the back so we started out again.

We had been driving for about 10 more minutes when she climbs back in Tater Tot's lap and starts to poop. So, Ladybug grabs her and the towel and Hubby hits the ditch so we can let her go. Problem: No collar. So, I get out and squat down beside her, holding her lightly around her middle so she doesn't run off. She's very antsy and can't find a good spot to go. I loosened my grip further hoping she would relax and go - but instead she turns to head in the opposite direction. I shifted my weight and moved my leg so I could reach her and the movement of my foot scared her - and off she darts down the side of the car. I jumped forward to grab her and miss and she runs right into the highway. By this time Hubby and the kids are out of the car, too. Hubby starts running after her into the middle of the highway. Ladybug is standing there screaming and Tater Tot is trying to run after her, too. There is a huge Suburban coming - I stop Tater from running into the road and the Suburban saw what was going on and stopped for us. Annie stopped on the other side of the highway in the ditch, squatted, and did her business just about the time Hubby got to her.

I've never been so scared in my life! I thought that dog was going to get killed right there in front of my kids and it would have been my fault! That would have been the guilt trip of a lifetime! But, thankfully, all was well. Hubby retrieved her, we wrapped her blanket around her and I held her the rest of the way home. And I told her that better be the only problems she causes because she almost gave me a heart attack!

Ladybug did very well last night taking care of her. Even getting up at night with her (since she's sleeping in Ladybug's bed). Granted - we've only had her one day, so let's just pray Ladybug continues to do well with her care and getting up with her because I don't do puppies well.

And these are the days of our lives...............

2 comments:

Kelly in NC said...

Annie the Accident...that's what I'd call her. I bet she'll make a great dog!

The Todds said...

Dakota picked the best dog to have around to punish a little brother! I wish I had had Annie when Kirk and I were growing up.

Join me in my quest to: