Wednesday, February 18, 2009

God's intentions

Dakota was born with lots of hair. She still has large, copious amounts of gorgeous hair. She has the kind of hair that you look at and wish you had - yet she hates. You know the feeling?

Several years ago, around 5th grade, she decided she wanted to get her hair layered. It was long and straight and beautiful, but she wanted to add some layers. Okay. I'm good with that. She wasn't asking to dye it purple! So, we took her to our beautitician at the time and asked her to layer it. Well, when she did Dakota's hair starts springing up with curls! This board straight hair turned curly in a matter of seconds! Who knew???

Now, we're not talking Shirley Temple curls - but beautiful flowing curls. The curls commercials are made of. (And I'm not just saying this because I'm her mother people!)

So, for the most part Dakota wears her hair up. Every day. In a sort of half ponytail half bun. It's how she likes it. It's cute. It's better for her dad and I because with it down she looks much older and even more beautiful and even more like a young lady! We certainly don't want the boys catching on to this newsflash!

Occassionally, she likes to wear it down but she just doesn't know what to do with all of it because she so seldom tries to do anything to it. The other morning she wanted to wear it down, so I was helping her fix it. She was complaining how she didn't like her curly hair and the conversation went a little something like this:

D: I don't like having curly hair.
Me: Well, most people don't like the hair God gave them, which I really don't understand because God made us all just the way he wanted us.
D: Well, I don't think God intended for me to have curly hair.
Me: I don't think God makes mistakes.
D: Well, I don't think God intended for US to make the mistake of getting my hair cut and making it curly!

4 comments:

Annikke said...

THAT is so funny! I love it!

I had perfectly straight hair all my life, and of course wished sometimes that I had curly hair. Then after my last child was born I ended up with curly hair, well, actually it started going curly during the pregnancy. I know have naturally curly hair that I loved, i mean really LOVED for the first year. I still like it, because it is so easy to do but I also will flat-iron it to make it straight once in a while too.

The Todds said...

Too funny - gotta love a teenager's take on the world!!!!

Kelly in NC said...

I think that she has a point. Maybe God did intend for her to learn a lesson about cutting her hair though! By the way- where did that curly hair come from?

kelly said...

what a cute story. i wish that wold work for me... i've got stick straight hair that doesn't even curl with a curling iron. what a fun surprise to cut it all off and have it curly!

Join me in my quest to: