We finally got our tree up last Friday night - only thanks to my friend Suzette who came over to help me decorate it! Good thing, too, or I don't think it would have gotten up!
On Tuesday the 9th we attended a "Night of Rememberance" that the local funeral home who handled my dad's service hosted. The service was for all the families the funeral home had serviced during the past year. It was a really special evening with Christmas singing and a guest speaker who offered hope, ways to cope, and encouragment as we enter into this holiday season and beyond.
During the service they announced each of the names of the loved ones who had passed away and the family was given a white dove (with the person's name on it) to place on the Christmas tree at the front of the church.
Drake and I placed the dove for my dad. It was absolutely beautiful and moving. I can't even really put it all into words. But it was a really special service and a special time set aside to honor those who had gone before us. Just another touch that living in a small town provides. I, of course, cried almost the entire time and Drake sat beside me rubbing my back and telling me it would be okay - just like he did during the funeral (until he fell asleep). I think my 8 year old telling me it was going to be okay made me cry more than the circumstances.
Drake and I placed the dove for my dad. It was absolutely beautiful and moving. I can't even really put it all into words. But it was a really special service and a special time set aside to honor those who had gone before us. Just another touch that living in a small town provides. I, of course, cried almost the entire time and Drake sat beside me rubbing my back and telling me it would be okay - just like he did during the funeral (until he fell asleep). I think my 8 year old telling me it was going to be okay made me cry more than the circumstances.
At the end of the service we were able to take the dove home with us. Drake was so excited to keep it and asked if we could put it on our tree when we put it up. Of course I said yes and we decided that it will be added to our ornaments that hang on the tree every year.
So, Friday night as we were getting the tree up, Drake was so antsy to get the dove on the tree. It was really very sweet and it was the first ornament he put on the tree. He wanted it to go on first - and he wanted it very near the top by the star. Actually, when he first asked me about putting it on the tree he wanted it to replace the star, but I told him we couldn't replace the star that led the wisemen to Bethlehem. So, he agreed - only if it could go somewhere near the top. I thought that was a fair compromise.

So, we now we will have a new Christmas tradition of putting Papa 'Tucky on the tree every year.


















2 comments:
That was so overwhelming to think Drake wants Papa Tucky to be there. I'm so happy that you were able to be there for the event. I'm glad you have such a loving son to see you through the event.
I thank you for making this dove a new tradition. It will always remind you of the happy times with your Dad.
Love, Glenda (Mom #2)
what a fun, new tradition!
Post a Comment