This weekend we got busy and finally planted a garden. For several years (several years ago) we planted a garden every year. The last garden we had we way over planted and it was very overwhelming. Then we allowed ourselves to think our life was too busy and felt like we didn't have time. Now I'm tired of paying the outrageous prices for vegetables that claim to be fresh, only to have them go bad ridiculously fast (like the next day!). And besides that, they're not even from here!!
So, I'll step down off that box before I get too soapy and continue on.......
Discing up the ground

Drake got tired of watching and decided Daddy needed help on the tractor.
Drake is making row markers for the ground out of popsicle sticks. Dakota did the first few but I wasn't quick enough with the camera to catch her. She was being camera shy!
I didn't pay attention to the marker that Dakota brought out to write on the row markers with. But after we had everything planted and turned the sprinkler on, the ink on all the row markers ran and were unreadable! It was then we discovered she brought out a "wet erase" marker! Lol! We laughed so hard. Good thing I drew a chart of the garden as we went along!
(Above) Drake is covering up the okra seeds.
The next four pictures are the "fruits" of our labor. We did a combination of setting plants and planting seed. I think the setting plants deal was to feed some sort of need for "instant gratification." I needed to see something growing....now! I know that's crazy, but it worked. I felt very good after we were done! LOL!


So, what is all that you ask? Well...
Tomatoes, six varieties; cabbage, green and red; jalapeno peppers; habenero peppers; bell pepper, orange, yellow and green; onions, green and sweet; romaine lettuce, banana peppers; okra, mustard greens, carrots(we'll see); eggplant, cucumbers; cantaloupe, watermelon (Drake's special request) and sweet corn.
This week we will plant squash (zucchini and yellow) and Italian green beans. Dakota has her special request of Cilantro still to plant, too. We're still contemplating on whether to put that in the garden or in a container. Leaning towards the container at this point, I think.
I'm praying for a bountiful harvest! And for those of you that live close enough, we're hoping to be able to share the crops!
So, pray that everything grows and bears its "fruit" and that the dogs stay out of the garden!
2 comments:
I hope the house next door to you is for sale. I'm moving in. Oh yum!!! Good for you!
You have such a beautiful piece of property. What a great garden. Can't wait to see the produce soon.
Makes my little flowerbed I use look sad.
♥ Joy
Post a Comment