Thursday, January 28, 2010

Of pigs and things......

Yes, we're still alive! I promise. But we have been so busy that I just don't even know if I'm coming or going and I haven't taken time to even breathe lately!


But a couple of weekends ago I took some really cute pictures and I thought I would share. One, they're cute pictures of my kids and I want to show them off. Two, they will serve as your one and only update on the pigs this year. Can you believe we go to state fair next week already? I certainly can not!!! Where does the time go?




(Above: Dakota and Chico
Below: Drake and Amigo)



(OMGoodness, is this not the cutest thing ever?)

(Bunch of pig kissers!)




(Dakota and Major)




Just for the record, the pens had just been cleaned out and fresh shavings put in. So, don't think my kids were laying in you know what - but I wouldn't put it past them ;o)
I thought Drake was beginning to try to distance himself from Amigo recently. He wasn't so "touchy/feely" with him and seemed a little standoffish. So, I thought maybe he was trying to prepare himself for "the end" and that this way his way of doing it. Turns out, Drake was getting sick and didn't really feel like being out there with him much.
A couple of nights ago Drake came in after being in the barn for a really long time. He told me that he had been talking to Amigo. I asked what they had been talking about. He said he was telling Amigo what homework was and why you have to do it. (This was after he spent most of the day doing makeup work from the week of school his missed from being sick). Then he said that he had told Amigo about the fair and the market. "What did you tell him about the fair?" I asked.
"I told him what a fair was. I told him he might be a little scared at first because there would be lots of other pigs there he didn't know. But I told him it was okay. The other pigs should be nice."
"Oh, so what did you tell him about the market?"
"I told him it was a place he would have to go after the fair. I told him he probably wouldn't like it much, but he had to go anyway."
I had to walk away because that made me want to crack up laughing and cry all at the same time! I know Drake knows what's in Amigo's near future, but I don't think it is going to make it any easier come next Sunday.
On another note: Drake found $10 on the sidewalk at school this week. He turned it in to the office and they told him that he could keep it. So, I said that was really nice of him to turn it in and really nice of them to let him keep it. I was just proud of him for turning in the money to the lost and found. But then he tells me he didn't keep it for himself. He decided instead to put it in the donation bucket at school for the Haiti Relief Fund. I was so proud of him! $10 is a lot of money to a 9 year old and he chose to give it away, selflessly, to people who needed it more than he did. I'm not gonna lie to you that I cried right in the middle of the 7-11 when he was telling me!
Dakota celebrated her 15th birthday earlier this month! Talk about time flying! My goodness I don't know where 15 years has gone. But she is now an officially licensed driver! Not that she drives, mind you. I think she drove more before she actually had a license than she has since she got her license! Just about the only way we can get her to drive is if we get in the passenger's seat before she comes out of the house and she has "no choice" but to get in the driver's seat. She's very cautious and more than a little hesitant in this new adventure. However, as a parent, I am certainly not complaining! I'm not ready for her to ride off into the wild blue yonder quite yet. But her daddy did tell her that she'd have to learn to drive on her own before she went to college because her Mama wasn't going to chauffeur her around for the rest of her life. She, on the other hand, had it all worked out where I could be her personal driver for the rest of her life. I'm sure that will change soon enough! For now, I'll just enjoy the "cautious ride."
Dakota also completed her first semester of high school last week. And although we've had a few bumps and curves in that road, all in all it hasn't been so bad. And - and she even made the A-B Honor Roll this nine weeks!!!!!!! I'm very proud of her! She's only disappointed because she no longer has her child care class or her ag class. They have block scheduling, so they only have classes for one semester and then change. This semester we picked up Algebra I and Science. Oh, happy day! My two favorite subjects - not. Luckily, she's really good at math and we'll get through the science together ;o)
Two weekends ago both kids competed at our local 4-H County Events, along with our cousin William. All three kids did illustrated talks or demonstrations. Dakota talked about decoding medicine labels, their importance, and how to do proper withdrawal time calculations. Drake did a talk and demonstration on knot tying and how you use that with livestock. And William did an illustrated talk about pig ear notching; why it's done and how it's done. They all did a great job! In fact, all three were blue ribbon, first place winners in their age divisions/categories and they will all be competing at District Events in May! Way to go, guys!
I think, for now, that sufficiently brings you up to date! I'll try to check back in before the fair, but I make no promises. For the next 30 days our lives are going to continue to be very hectic as we go to state fair and then get ready for county fair 21 days later. Wish us luck!
































2 comments:

Jim and Lilla said...

I am proud of you for raising kids who have a heart. My hat is off to you and Jeremiah for being good parents!!! Just wait your day is coming with the driver license thing and as we talked the other night you might have a real difficult time letting her drive off for the first time when she gets her "real" license, although you say I didn't. Good luck at the fairs, I know parting with the piggys will be difficult. Oh and by the way the kids are adorable!

Tracy P. said...

What a great update. Your kids sure do love their piggies. How sweet! I can't believe how fast they grow! Seems like the kids just got them.

I hope you all stay healthy now and that all goes well at the fair.

Join me in my quest to: