Monday, August 15, 2011

Back-to-school crafting

When I was in high school, my cousin Cindy would paint my school folders for me every year. It was fun to sit and watch her paint and it was fun to carry "designer" folders to school knowing no one else would have one like mine. We would buy the colored paper folders, she would paint on them, and then we would cover them with contact paper so they would last all year. I wish I had kept some of those old folders just to have them to look at. They were always so neat. Sometimes she painted desert scenes, sometimes cows, boots, deer, cheerleader megaphones, wolf paws (our mascot was a wolf), etc.

Well, I am no artist but I do have a Cricut and I have a new obsession with cutting vinyl. So, this year we created designer folders for the kids - same idea, different vehicle of getting there. We had so much fun doing this I think it will become a new back-to-school tradition.

Drake's Math Folder (front-above)
(Back-below)


Drake's Reading Folder (Front-above)
(Back-below)


Sorry the color is off on these pictures. My lighting was not ideal

The kids had fun picking their own designs and/or words to go on their folder. And to think, I was bummed because they didn't have any "cute" folders at the store that fit my kids' personalities.


Spelling/Language Folder (Front-above)
(Back-below)


On to Dakota's:
She opted for 3-ring binders and to label what class period the folder is for. She will switch classes after this semester, so she decided this way she could use them all year long and not have to re-do them come next semester. She also said it would make it easy to grab the right folder in her locker. Smart kid.
She chose to go with inspirational wording:
and shapes.....What fun back-to-school traditions do you have?

1 comment:

Tracy P. said...

Those are so cute!

We still have three weeks until school starts (it ended June 11). I will have to start thinking about it pretty soon. We should do our own folders too!

Join me in my quest to: